Well we have now moved on from Valencia – heading east, but of course we had a bit more fun before leaving.
We visited La Albufera – a lagoon just south of the city where the bomba rice, for which Valencia is famous, is grown.
It was originally a thriving Iberian community called, believe it or not, “Arse” which was destroyed, in 219BC, by Hannibal – he obviously didn’t like the name! This sparked the second Punic War, which Rome won and a new town, Saguntum, was built.
The engraved stones are parts of funerary and honorary inscriptions.
The small town there was all decked out in its Easter colours – even purple flowers had been planted.
….where we also took Steve and Gill during their short stay in Valencia before and after their trip back to the UK.
Whilst they were with us we also came across a building we hadn’t previously known you could visit.
But the over winter 2017/18 Valencia stories would not be complete without my telling you a little bit about the work we did between visitors and visits. It’s amazing when you actually sit down to make a list you realise just how much you have achieved. Over the course of six months we did the following:-
Replaced the bow navigation light and bracket
Fitted a new wash down pump and replaced the deck connection
Fitted a holding tank for the forward heads – including a deck pump out. We “lost” a wardrobe in the process – but who needs one of those!
Replaced the Italian 240v sockets
Fitted a water-maker
Removed the old water heater pipes
Move the pressurised water pipe connections to make them more accessible and visible
Rewired the navigation station and built new panels and a created a new cupboard
Replaced the leaking deck prism
Serviced the davits and replaced the davit hoist pulleys and ropes
Replaced the shore-power socket and rewired the internal shore-power cable
Replaced the water tank gauges and senders
Replaced the dinghy grab handle and grommets
Replaced the dinghy outboard fuel tank filler cap
Fitted wire hoist strops to the dinghy
Serviced the engine
Replaced the spray hood
Had a lazy bag made to replace the old cover
Serviced the sheet winches and replaced the collets
Serviced the starboard reefing winch
Fitted an AIS
Fitted a new battery charger and a battery monitor
Fitted a dedicated charger for the VHF handheld
Replaced the vented loops in the generator exhaust and the 240v fridge coolant system
Epoxied the fridge door frame
Replaced the catch on rear shower/engine room door
Fitted a handle to the companionway hatch
Marked reefing points on the main halyard and on the reefing lines
Stopped a stern shower tap leak – which had been staining woodwork in the saloon
Made a mattress support [with a little help from Ikea] to allow air to circulate and reduce damp/mold
Whilst doing some jobs – we managed to fit in others
I guess I could go into detail about the work not done, but that would end this blog on a sour note, so I won’t – just suffice to say that our planned bimini and re-designed stern arch work did not happen. This means we are toting around two solar panels and a wind generator in our spare bedroom. Don’t worry forthcoming guests – we can move them to the bunkroom for your visit.
It also means our list for jobs to do in Greece has already started! But, hopefully I will be reporting on many other adventures before then so watch this space.I guess I could go into detail about the work not done, but that would end this blog on a sour note, so I won’t – just suffice to say that our planned bimini and re-designed stern arch work did not happen. This means we are toting around two solar panels and a wind generator in our spare bedroom. Don’t worry forthcoming guests – we can move them to the bunkroom for your visit.